Co-hosts Poland crashed out at the group stages as the Czech Republic put themselves into the quarter finals.
The unfancied Czechs join Greece in getting out of Group A after an enterprising second half which saw Petr Jiracek write himself at the hero.
Poland are left bottom of the group without a win and continue their record of never recording a victory in the European Championship finals.
The Poles, who kept faith with Przemyslaw Tyton in favour of Wojciech Szczesny, who returned from suspension, began the better of the teams. Robert Lewandowski was being fed well by Jakub Blaszczkowski and Ludovic Obraniak.
The Czech battled back though, with Theodor Gebre Selassie a constant thorn in his opponents' side and the match saw two enterprising teams attacking each other.
A combination of strong defending and poor finishing kept the Czechs and Poles level at half time.
Michal Bilek's half time team talk must have fired up his side, as Czech Republic dominated proceedings.
The midfield trio of Petr Jiracek, Daniel Kolar and Vaclav Pilar pulled the strings, creating chances in behind the Polish defensive line.
The pressure told after 72 minutes when Jiracek bagged the opening goal for the second consecutive match. The Wolsburg playmaker found space in the box to place a right foot shot beyond the reach of Przemyslaw Tyton.
Some direct but aimless pressure from Poland failed to tell and a terrific Michal Kadlec clearance off the line in injurt time gave the Czech Republic a deserved victory.
For more Euro 2012 content, including a list of all our live games, match highlights, great analysis and our daily video bulletin, click through to stv.tv/euro2012.
More About Euro 2012
- Where do Sweden go after their poor performance at Euro 2012
- STV Sports Daily at the Euros: Our look back at the Euro 2012 final
- Italy manager urges Mario Balotelli to learn and grow from Euro final loss
- Vicente Del Bosque basks in 'extraordinary' Spain achievement
- Spain 4-0 Italy: Spain's dominance confirmed with rout of Italy
- Cesc Fabregas starts in strikerless Spain formation for Euro 2012 final
- Abate returns to Italy team for Euro 2012 final against Spain
- STV Sports Daily at the Euros: Our video preview of the Group A contenders
- European Championship 2012 preview: Czech Republic
- European Championship 2012 preview: Poland
People who read this story also read
- Greece 1-0 Russia: Stubborn Greece send Russia home with Warsaw victory
- Dundee submit application to join the SPL
- Dunfermline clear out as at least eight top team stars leave East End Park
- Russia 4-1 Czech Republic: Alan Dzagoev shines in routine victory
- David Preece discusses Roy Hodgson, Sweden and England's goalkeepers