UEFA have moved to stamp out racism at the European Championship for the first time in the tournament after opening disciplinary proceedings against Croatia over the alleged abuse of Mario Balotelli.
European football's governing body announced they were taking action against the Croatian Football Federation (HNS) over racist chanting by their fans in the country's 1-1 Group C draw against Italy on Thursday.
It is claimed that a banana was thrown on to the field in Poznan and racist banners were allegedly displayed at the Municipal Stadium.
In a statement, UEFA said: "UEFA has opened disciplinary proceedings against the Croatian Football Federation (HNS) for the setting-off and throwing of fireworks, and the improper conduct of supporters (racist chants, racist symbols) at the UEFA Euro 2012 Group C match against Italy in Poznan on Thursday.
"The UEFA Control and Disciplinary Body will deal with the case on 19 June."
Anti-racism in football group FARE said their observers heard between 300 and 500 Croatia fans chanting monkey noises at Italy striker Balotelli in Thursday's match.
That followed reports a photographer witnessed a steward retrieving a banana from the pitch as well as hearing the same chants.
Manchester City striker Balotelli said before Euro 2012 that he would "kill" anyone who threw a banana at him in the street and threatened to walk off the pitch if racially abused.
Earlier in the week week Russia were hit with a suspended six point deduction for their Euro 2016 campaign over the behaviour of their fans at Euro 2012, which included the display of extremist banners.
In this section
- Farewell to the red and white as Slaven Bilic and Croatia make way
- Croatia 0-1 Spain: Bilic's Croats denied as Jesus Navas saves La Roja
- Croatia in touching distance of quarter-final after attacking switch
- STV Sports Daily at the Euros: Spain supreme, Pirlo's perfect set piece
- Italy to rest up to prevent performance dips after letting leads slip
- Euro 2012 Talk: Bilic blames ref, Ireland's lament, a malevolent boot
- Italy 1-1 Croatia: Mario Mandzukic leveller denies Azzurri
- Euro 2012 Talk: England's Chelsea impression, all hail Sheva
- Croatian midfield is the key to progress from Group C
- Rep of Ireland 1-3 Croatia: Mario Mandzukic stars as Ireland disappoint