Czech Republic captain Tomas Rosicky appears to be winning his fitness battle after being included in the country’s final 23-man squad for Euro 2012.
The Arsenal midfielder has made 42 appearances this season but is struggling with a calf injury.
However Michal Bilek has chosen the 31-year-old in the hope he will be fit to compete in Poland and Ukraine.
Replacement Vladimir Darida of Pilsen will also travel as back up should Rosicky suffer a recurrence of the problem.
Before facing Russia in their first match on the opening night of the competition , the Czechs have a warm up game against Hungary on Saturday.
There’s still room for Euro 2004 top scorer Milan Baros while Chelsea’s Champions League hero Petr Cech will be in goal after signing a new four-year deal with the club.
The Czechs reached Poland and Ukraine after beating Scotland to second place in the qualifying stages.
Czech Republic Euro 2012 squad:
Goalkeepers: Petr Cech (Chelsea), Jaroslav Drobny (Hamburg), Jan Lastuvka (Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk).
Defenders: Theodor Gebre Selassie (Liberec), Roman Hubnik (Hertha Berlin), Michal Kadlec (Bayer Leverkusen), David Limbersky (Pilsen), Frantisek Rajtoral (Pilsen), Tomas Sivok (Besiktas), Marek Suchy (Spartak Moscow).
Midfielders: Vladimir Darida (Pilsen), Tomas Hubschman (Shakhtar Donetsk), Petr Jiracek (Wolfsburg), Daniel Kolar (Pilsen), Milan Petrzela (Pilsen), Vaclav Pilar (Pilsen), Jaroslav Plasil (Bordeaux), Jan Rezek (Anorthosis Famagusta), Tomas Rosicky (Arsenal).
Forwards: Milan Baros (Galatasaray), David Lafata (Jablonec), Tomas Necid (CSKA Moscow), Tomas Pekhart (Nuremberg).
People who read this story also read
- Hamstring injury robs Kevin Foley of place in Ireland's Euro squad
- Fernando Torres makes the cut as Spain unveil their 23-man Euros squad
- Denmark replace goalkeeper Thomas Sorensen with Kasper Schmeichel
- Hosts Poland name Celtic flop Pawel Brozek in squad for Euro 2012 finals
- No place for Yoann Gourcouff as Laurent Blanc names 23-man squad
In this section
- STV Sports Daily at the Euros: Germany v Greece plus last night's goals
- Czechs can draw positives from Euro 2012 exit to Portugal
- Czech Republic 0-1 Portugal: Ronaldo header seals last four place
- Video chat with Stuart Kenny on Czech Republic’s mid-tournament revival
- Czech's bouncing ahead of quarter-final showdown with Portugal
- Wide men have been key to Czech Republic's march to the quarter-finals
- Czech Rep 1-0 Poland: Petr Jiracek the hero as Czechs dispose of Poland
- Czech Republic have improved since pipping Scotland in qualification
- Czech Republic back in contention after reverting to their passing game
- STV Sports Daily at the Euros: Kuba's screamer, Czechs cash in