England boosted their hopes of reaching the Euro 2012 quarter-finals with a hard-fought win against Sweden in Kiev.
Andy Carroll gave England the lead with a thunderous header from a Steven Gerrard cross in the 23rd minute.
Roy Hodgson's side remained in command for the duration of the first half but couldn't add to their solitary goal and paid the price in the second half.
A defensive mix-up allowed Olof Mellberg space in the box after a free-kick and the former Aston Villa defender scored from close range after 49 minutes.
Ten minutes later Sweden had the lead and Mellberg was again the scorer. Seb Larsson floated a ball to the back post and the Swedish defender was perfectly positioned to direct a downward header past Joe Hart.
England introduced Theo Walcott at the expense of James Milner and the Arsenal forward levelled for England three minutes later. Walcott fired in a shot from 20 yards after Sweden failed to clear.
England scored what proved to be the winner with 12 minutes to go. Theo Walcott set up Danny Welbeck and the Manchester United forward produced a clever finish to divert the ball past Andreas Isaksson.
Hodgson's side can now guarantee themselves a place in the knock-out stages if they defeat Ukraine on June 19.
Sweden now cannot qualify after successive defeats in their first two games.
Register here and we will send you our Euro 2012 game alerts one hour before kick off. It's good to get all the action. Online and on TV.
For more Euro 2012 content, including a list of all our live games, match highlights, great analysis and our daily video bulletin, click through to stv.tv/euro2012.
- STV Sports Daily at the Euros: Our video preview of the Group D contenders
- European Championship 2012 preview: Sweden
- European Championship 2012 preview: England
People who read this story also read
In this section
- England's Euro performance shows signs of promise for World Cup 2014
- STV Sports Daily at the Euros: Italy defeat England to make the semis
- Euro 2012 Talk: It's all about Pirlo, England crash out, 'boring' Spain
- Roy Hodgson: 'You can't teach players Andrea Pirlo's spot kick cool'
- Italy win through on penalties as England endure another spot of bother
- STV Sports Daily at the Euros: England v Italy plus last night's goals
- David Preece talks goal-line technology, penalty shoot-outs and underdogs
- Scott Parker: England can ‘do a Chelsea’ and claim Euro 2012 glory
- Euro 2012 talk: Football and finance meet as Germany take on Greece
- Roy Hodgson calmly leads the way as England prepare to face Italy