Many say politics and sport should never mix but it’s hard to avoid both subjects ahead of tonight’s Euro 2012 quarter-final clash between Germany and Greece.
Both nations have been at each other’s throats in recent months over the ongoing crisis in the Eurozone.
On the surface things appear much simpler on the football field with Joachim Low’s men winning all three group matches.
However as we all know the Greeks love their role as party-poopers so much that the media in Athens have adopted it as their slogan
Elsewhere Portugal have become the first nation to reach the semi-finals while England’s goalkeeper insists he won’t be paying too much attention to his Manchester City team-mate Mario Balotelli.
A late goal from Portugal's captain settled a one-sided quarter-final.
England goalkeeper Joe Hart does not believe Manchester City team-mate Mario Balotelli will ever be bothered about the numerous stories that appear about him. (London Evening Standard)
Bild leads with the headline "Bye Greece, Today We Can Not Save You."
But Fernando Santos’ side are aiming to cause the shock of the tournament tonight (Athens News)
Undefeated against Spain in competition, France will try to keep it going in the quarterfinals Saturday (L’Equipe).
14 players from France and Spain are partners in their respective clubs (Marca).
The Manchester City striker takes some time out preparing for the England match (Daily Mail).
Loew leaves the politics to Merkel for Greek clash (AFP)
The England manager is fondly remembered by Inter fans for his voice and even took part in a bizarre comedy sketch (The Guardian)
In this section
- Germany 1-2 Italy: Mario Balotelli comes of age to send Azzurri to final
- STV Sports Daily at the Euros: Germany v Italy, Euro 2012 semi-final
- Germany look to record first-ever competitive win over the Italians
- Download and create your very own cut-out Joachim Loew
- Euro 2012 Talk: Podolski does Europop and have Spain become boring?
- Germany find their talisman as Mesut Ozil takes centre stage
- Euro 2012 Talk: It's all about Pirlo, England crash out, 'boring' Spain
- STV Sports Daily at the Euros: Spain v France plus last night's goals
- Germany 4-2 Greece: Reus slams in winner to see Germany into the semi-final
- STV Sports Daily at the Euros: Germany v Greece plus last night's goals