Hello, and welcome to today’s Pirlo Talk.
The 33-year-old Juventus midfielder dominated England in a way that appeared almost unfair at times in Kiev.
In the interests of sport he will play future matches against English opposition wearing an eye patch and weighed down by eight stone of sand ballast.
But was his admirable swagger and self-confidence always so well founded? His stunning ‘Panenka’ penalty turned out rather well last night, but Euro 2012 Talk can reveal this was not his first attempt at the cheeky spot kick chip.
Full highlights and match report from the goal-less but entertaining quarter final at Kiev’s Olympic Stadium..
Roy Hodgson laments the nation’s penalty shoot-out mental block, and yearns for players with the confidence under pressure of Pirlo. There’s a video of that penalty here too, just for good measure.
The man widely tipped for the England job before Hodgson got the nod says Italy deserved every bit of their Euro 2012 triumph. (The Guardian)
The German camp has a mole problem. Jogi Loew’s team news was released by an unknown source hours before their clash with Greece, and the hunt is on to out the double agent. (Daily Telegraph)
Sam Viller lays it on the line in his blog – Andrea Pirlo is less of a lion maned midfield maestro, and more an Italiano diety. (Forza Italian Football)
The traditional tactics love lays on the line just how important Pirlo was to Cesare Prandelli’s team. (Zonal Marking)
Boring boring Spain? Full back Arbeloa pleads that the reigning world and European champions can’t be exciting in every single game. (Goal.com)
A shoot-out between Barcelona and AC Milan in 2010 gives Andrea Pirlo his first chance at executing the ‘Panenka’ penalty. How did it go?
- Italy win through on penalties as England endure another spot of bother
- Euro 2012 talk: Blokhin's 'man talk', Trapattoni's plans and John Delaney
People who read this story also read
In this section
- Germany 1-2 Italy: Mario Balotelli comes of age to send Azzurri to final
- STV Sports Daily at the Euros: Germany v Italy, Euro 2012 semi-final
- Germany look to record first-ever competitive win over the Italians
- Download and create your very own cut-out Joachim Loew
- Euro 2012 Talk: Podolski does Europop and have Spain become boring?
- Germany find their talisman as Mesut Ozil takes centre stage
- STV Sports Daily at the Euros: Spain v France plus last night's goals
- Germany 4-2 Greece: Reus slams in winner to see Germany into the semi-final
- STV Sports Daily at the Euros: Germany v Greece plus last night's goals
- Bundesliga football's Stefan Bienkowski on Greece, glory and German flaws