The Republic of Ireland leave Euro 2012 with no points but put in a more spirited display against Italy.
The Azzurri took a first half lead before being pegged back by Giovanni Trapattoni's team for long spell of the second half.
Mario Balotelli made sure of the win with a spectacular volley in the 90th minute, after Keith Andrew's had received his marching orders for a second yellow card.
After an opening period of honest endeavour from Ireland, without much penetration, Italy started to take hold of the game. Di Natale tested the defence on 28 minutes,then again on 34 minutes after rounding goalkeeper Shay Given.
Given spilled a resultant shot from Antonio Cassano, leading to a corner. The whipped delivery was met by Cassano himself and crept over the line to give Cesare Prandelli's team the lead.
Cassano continued to give the Irish defence a rough ride, going close in the 49th minute but slowly the men from the Emerald Isle were getting back in to the contest.
Andrews struck a 30 yard free kick cleanly on the hour mark which fizzed into Gianluigi Buffon's gloves.
Jon Walters and Shane Long were thrown on as Ireland sought a goal to give them something from the tournament, but after Andrews petulantly earned himself another caution, Manchester City star Balotelli took centre stage.
The precocious striker turned a corner into the net with his back to goal in a sublime piece of skill which ensured that italy progress to the quarter finals.
For more Euro 2012 content, including a list of all our live games, match highlights, great analysis and our daily video bulletin, click through to stv.tv/euro2012.
- STV Sports Daily at the Euros: Our video preview of the Group C contenders
- European Championship 2012 preview: Ireland
- European Championship 2012 preview: Italy
People who read this story also read
In this section
- Italy manager urges Mario Balotelli to learn and grow from Euro final loss
- Spain 4-0 Italy: Spain's dominance confirmed with rout of Italy
- Abate returns to Italy team for Euro 2012 final against Spain
- David Schiavone discusses Pirlo, Prandelli and a prolific striker
- Attempting to solve the problem of 'super' Mario Balotelli
- Italy well aware they have work to do at Euro 2012 despite final surprise
- Germany 1-2 Italy: Mario Balotelli comes of age to send Azzurri to final
- STV Sports Daily at the Euros: Germany v Italy, Euro 2012 semi-final
- Euro 2012 Talk: Podolski does Europop and have Spain become boring?
- Three lions tamed as Italy advance to the semi-finals of Euro 2012