Italy set up a Euro 2012 semi-final clash with Germany after a penalty shoot-out win over England.
After regulation time and an extra 30 minutes failed to produce a goal from either side, the match was settled from the spot and England once again suffered at spot kicks.
Alessandro Diamanti struck the decisive kick after Ashley Young and Ashley Cole had failed to beat Gianluigi Buffon.
Italy had been on top during open play and while England had ridden their luck, they could not complain about their eventual exit from the competition.
Register here and we will send you our Euro 2012 game alerts one hour before kick off. It’s good to get all the action. Online and on TV.
For more Euro 2012 content, including a list of all our live games, match highlights, great analysis and our daily video bulletin, click through to stv.tv/euro2012.
- Roy Hodgson calmly leads the way as England prepare to face Italy
- Italy 2-0 Rep Ireland: Irish huff and puff but are snuffed out by Balotelli
People who read this story also read
- STV Sports Daily at the Euros: England v Italy plus last night's goals
- Spain 1-1 Italy: Honours even with Di Natale and Fabregas on target
- STV Sports Daily at the Euros: Rooney's return and a ghost goal
- Spain 2-0 France: Alonso at the double to put Spanish in final four
- David Preece talks goal-line technology, penalty shoot-outs and underdogs
In this section
- Italy manager urges Mario Balotelli to learn and grow from Euro final loss
- Spain 4-0 Italy: Spain's dominance confirmed with rout of Italy
- Abate returns to Italy team for Euro 2012 final against Spain
- David Schiavone discusses Pirlo, Prandelli and a prolific striker
- Attempting to solve the problem of 'super' Mario Balotelli
- Italy well aware they have work to do at Euro 2012 despite final surprise
- Germany 1-2 Italy: Mario Balotelli comes of age to send Azzurri to final
- STV Sports Daily at the Euros: Germany v Italy, Euro 2012 semi-final
- Euro 2012 Talk: Podolski does Europop and have Spain become boring?
- Three lions tamed as Italy advance to the semi-finals of Euro 2012