Russia and Poland played out a 1-1 draw in Warsaw to keep both teams in the running for progress to the knock-out stages.
The co-hosts had to fight back from being a goal down to secure their second successive draw with Poland captain Jakub Błaszczykowski cancelling out Alan Dzagoev's first half goal.
Russia, who had thumped Czech Republic 4-1 in their opening game, went on the attack from the outset but Poland proved a danger with swift counters in what was an open game from kick-off.
Poland went closest early on though, when only a tight offside call ruled out a goal from Eugen Polanski after some intricate passing had put the midfielder clear.
It was Russia who took the lead in the 37th minute though, when CSKA Moscow midfielder Dzagoev headed home an Andriy Arshavin free-kick.
Both sides continued to create chances with Arshavin and Zhirkov proving a real danger on the left for Russia.
But Poland hit back after 57 minutes when Błaszczykowski hit a ferocious shot from the edge of the area that left Vyacheslav Malinfeev with no chance.
The goal gave Poland a visible boost and they began to look likely winners in what was an end-to-end second half.
Adrian Mierzejewski shot wide, Robert Lewandowski and Sebastian Boenisch both had chances but despite a frenetic end period the sides had to settle for a point apiece and still have work to do in their final group games.
Register here and we will send you our Euro 2012 game alerts one hour before kick off. It's good to get all the action. Online and on TV.
For more Euro 2012 content, including a list of all our live games, match highlights, great analysis and our daily video bulletin, click through to stv.tv/euro2012.
- STV Sports Daily at the Euros: Our video preview of the Group A contenders
- European Championship 2012 preview: Russia
- European Championship 2012 preview: Poland
People who read this story also read
- Greece 1-2 Czech Republic: Explosive start gives Czechs vital points
- STV Sports Daily at the Euros: Organised England, Sheva the hero
- Sweden need to follow 'The way of Zlatan' if they are to bounce back
- Ukraine 2-1 Sweden: Andriy Shevchenko rolls back the years with double
- SPL clubs react to news that Rangers will be liquidated
In this section
- Czech Rep 1-0 Poland: Petr Jiracek the hero as Czechs dispose of Poland
- Euro 2012 Talk: Bilic blames ref, Ireland's lament, a malevolent boot
- Poland have a national icon in the shape of Jakub Blaszczykowski
- Tactical analysis: Contrasting styles on display from Russia and Poland
- STV Sports Daily at the Euros: Kuba's screamer, Czechs cash in
- Euro 2012 Talk: Dzagoev points bonanza, Kuba's stunner, Kiev quiet
- Poland v Greece: Home pressures get to the hosts
- Poland 1-1 Greece: Honours even as Giorgos Karagounis misses penalty
- The Eastern European Challenge: Three of the best
- Poland rest their hopes of progression on the shoulders of Dortmund trio