Greece's dramatic lead in the second minute of first half injury time in Warsaw was enough to win the match, and a place in the quarter finals.
The stakes were high as a victory for either team would see them through Group A. Greece had taken just one point from two games while Russia had caught the eye of many fans with a 4-1 victory against Czech Republic, and were well fancied to make the knock-out stages.
The Russians had dominated the majority of the first half but met a defiant Greek backline which snuffed out the attacks around the penalty area.
The best effort of the half came from Aleksandr Kerzhakov, who saw a half volley from 20 yards whistle past the far post.
The Greeks landed a sucker punched with just seconds left until half time. Captain Giorgios Karagounis latched on to a quick throw and rifled a finish beyond Vyachelsav Malafeev.
With Russia stretching the game in need of a goal in the second half, Greece sat in and hit them on the break. Georgios Samaras troubled Dick Advocaat's team with tireless running and the men in white grew in confidence as Russia ran out of ideas.
Karagounis should have been awarded a penalty kick when he was tripped and felled in the box, but Swedish official Jonas Eriksson instead produced a yellow card for simulation for the Panathinaikos midfielder.
Wayward efforts from Roman Pavlyuchenko and Pavel Pogrebnyak summed up Russia's day and they were unable to fight their way back into the match, or the tournament.
For more Euro 2012 content, including a list of all our live games, match highlights, great analysis and our daily video bulletin, click through to stv.tv/euro2012.
- STV Sports Daily at the Euros: Our video preview of the Group A contenders
- European Championship 2012 preview: Russia
- European Championship 2012 preview: Greece
People who read this story also read
In this section
- Euro 2012 Wrap: Horror film ghost girls, Tetris and Denmark's Roy Race
- STV Sports Daily at the Euros: Spain supreme, Pirlo's perfect set piece
- Hosts and Russia share the spoils during a raw encounter in Warsaw
- UEFA hit Russia with points deduction threat for fans' behaviour
- Tactical analysis: Contrasting styles on display from Russia and Poland
- STV Sports Daily at the Euros: Kuba's screamer, Czechs cash in
- Euro 2012 Talk: Dzagoev points bonanza, Kuba's stunner, Kiev quiet
- Poland 1-1 Russia: Dzagoev strikes again but Kuba keeps Poles in position
- STV Sports Daily at the Euros: Organised England, Sheva the hero
- UEFA open disciplinary proceedings against Russia for fan trouble