England boosted their hopes of reaching the Euro 2012 quarter-finals with a hard-fought win against Sweden in Kiev.
Andy Carroll gave England the lead with a thunderous header from a Steven Gerrard cross in the 23rd minute.
Roy Hodgson's side remained in command for the duration of the first half but couldn't add to their solitary goal and paid the price in the second half.
A defensive mix-up allowed Olof Mellberg space in the box after a free-kick and the former Aston Villa defender scored from close range after 49 minutes.
Ten minutes later Sweden had the lead and Mellberg was again the scorer. Seb Larsson floated a ball to the back post and the Swedish defender was perfectly positioned to direct a downward header past Joe Hart.
England introduced Theo Walcott at the expense of James Milner and the Arsenal forward levelled for England three minutes later. Walcott fired in a shot from 20 yards after Sweden failed to clear.
England scored what proved to be the winner with 12 minutes to go. Theo Walcott set up Danny Welbeck and the Manchester United forward produced a clever finish to divert the ball past Andreas Isaksson.
Hodgson's side can now guarantee themselves a place in the knock-out stages if they defeat Ukraine on June 19.
Sweden now cannot qualify after successive defeats in their first two games.
Register here and we will send you our Euro 2012 game alerts one hour before kick off. It's good to get all the action. Online and on TV.
For more Euro 2012 content, including a list of all our live games, match highlights, great analysis and our daily video bulletin, click through to stv.tv/euro2012.
- STV Sports Daily at the Euros: Our video preview of the Group D contenders
- European Championship 2012 preview: Sweden
- European Championship 2012 preview: England
People who read this story also read
In this section
- Where do Sweden go after their poor performance at Euro 2012
- Sweden finally reveal their potential after a week of false starts
- Sweden 2-0 France: Stunning Ibrahimovic strike lays foundations for victory
- Sweden left to rue what might have been after narrow defeat to England
- Euro 2012 Wrap: Horror film ghost girls, Tetris and Denmark's Roy Race
- Euro 2012 Talk: Bilic blames ref, Ireland's lament, a malevolent boot
- Sweden need to follow 'The way of Zlatan' if they are to bounce back
- STV Sports Daily at the Euros: Organised England, Sheva the hero
- Euro 2012 Talk: England's Chelsea impression, all hail Sheva
- Ukraine 2-1 Sweden: Andriy Shevchenko rolls back the years with double