Italy set up a Euro 2012 semi-final clash with Germany after a penalty shoot-out win over England.
After regulation time and an extra 30 minutes failed to produce a goal from either side, the match was settled from the spot and England once again suffered at spot kicks.
Alessandro Diamanti struck the decisive kick after Ashley Young and Ashley Cole had failed to beat Gianluigi Buffon.
Italy had been on top during open play and while England had ridden their luck, they could not complain about their eventual exit from the competition.
Register here and we will send you our Euro 2012 game alerts one hour before kick off. It’s good to get all the action. Online and on TV.
For more Euro 2012 content, including a list of all our live games, match highlights, great analysis and our daily video bulletin, click through to stv.tv/euro2012.
More About Euro 2012
- Where do Sweden go after their poor performance at Euro 2012
- STV Sports Daily at the Euros: Our look back at the Euro 2012 final
- Italy manager urges Mario Balotelli to learn and grow from Euro final loss
- Vicente Del Bosque basks in 'extraordinary' Spain achievement
- Spain 4-0 Italy: Spain's dominance confirmed with rout of Italy
- Cesc Fabregas starts in strikerless Spain formation for Euro 2012 final
- Abate returns to Italy team for Euro 2012 final against Spain
- Roy Hodgson calmly leads the way as England prepare to face Italy
- Italy 2-0 Rep Ireland: Irish huff and puff but are snuffed out by Balotelli
People who read this story also read
- STV Sports Daily at the Euros: England v Italy plus last night's goals
- Spain 1-1 Italy: Honours even with Di Natale and Fabregas on target
- STV Sports Daily at the Euros: Rooney's return and a ghost goal
- Spain 2-0 France: Alonso at the double to put Spanish in final four
- David Preece talks goal-line technology, penalty shoot-outs and underdogs