Ryan McGowan has turned down a move to Rangers and will stay with Hearts, STV understands
The Australian international went to Murray Park on Friday night to hold talks with Ally McCoist, as the Third Division club looked to add to their squad ahead of a 12-month signing embargo which comes into force at midnight.
McGowan recently won his first cap for Australia in their defeat to Scotland, coming on as a substitute in the game at Easter Road.
STV understands the 23-year-old felt his international prospects would be harmed by moving to Scotland's bottom professional tier.
Recruited by Hearts in 2006 from Para Hills Knights, the defender/midfielder has gone on to make 52 appearances, scoring three goals.
More About Deadline Day
- Revealed: The European league which gives the best value for transfer money
- Winger David Templeton completes move from Hearts to Rangers
- Celtic land Slovakian goalkeeper Lubos Kamenar on season-long loan
- Hibernian capture Manchester City defender Ryan McGivern on four month loan
- Celtic sign Venezuelan forward Nicolas 'Miku' Fedor from Getafe on loan
- Kilmarnock youngster Matthew Kennedy agrees three-year Everton deal
- Carlos Bocanegra leaves Rangers to join Racing Santander on loan