Netherlands boss Bert van Marwijk has named a provisional 36-man squad for Euro 2012.
The Dutch, who were the beaten finalists at the 2010 World Cup, will see their pool trimmed to 23 by the May 29 deadline for this summer’s tournament.
There are nine previously uncapped players in van Marwijk’s selection, including young PSV Eindhoven defender Jetro Willems, who has established himself with the Eredivisie side despite only being 18.
His team-mate, left-back Erik Pieters, was named in the original squad but has withdrawn because of a fractured foot. Vitesse Arnhem’s Alexander Buttner has taken his place.
All 36 will report to a training camp on May 15, before friendlies with Bayern Munich, Bulgaria, Slovakia and Northern Ireland ahead of their first Euro 2012 Group B fixture against Denmark on June 9.
They will then face Germany and Portugal on June 13 and 17 respectively, with all three group games being held at the Metalist Stadium in Kharkiv, Ukraine.
Provisional Netherlands squad for Euro 2012:
Goalkeepers: Maarten Stekelenburg (Roma), Tim Krul (Newcastle United), Michel Vorm (Swansea City), Erwin Mulder (Feyenoord), Jasper Cillissen (Ajax)
Defenders: Vurnon Anita, Gregory van der Wiel (both Ajax), Khalid Boulahrouz (Stuttgart), Wilfred Bouma, Jetro Willems (all PSV Eindhoven), Alexander Buttner (Vitesse Arnhem) Urby Emanuelson (AC Milan), John Heitinga (Everton), Hedwiges Maduro (Valencia), Joris Mathijsen (Malaga), Nick Viergever (AZ Alkmaar), Ron Vlaar, Stefan de Vrij (both Feyenoord)
Midfielders: Ibrahim Afellay (Barcelona), Mark van Bommel (AC Milan), Nigel de Jong (Manchester City), Adam Maher (AZ Alkmaar), Stijn Schaars (Sporting), Wesley Sneijder (Inter Milan), Kevin Strootman, Georginio Wijnaldum (both PSV Eindhoven), Rafael van der Vaart (Tottenham Hotspur)
Forwards: Klaas-Jan Huntelaar (Schalke), Ola John, Luuk de Jong (both Twente), Siem de Jong (Ajax), Dirk Kuyt (Liverpool), Jeremain Lens (PSV Eindhoven), Luciano Narsingh (Heerenveen), Robin van Persie (Arsenal), Arjen Robben (Bayern Munich).
More About Euro 2012
- Where do Sweden go after their poor performance at Euro 2012
- STV Sports Daily at the Euros: Our look back at the Euro 2012 final
- Italy manager urges Mario Balotelli to learn and grow from Euro final loss
- Vicente Del Bosque basks in 'extraordinary' Spain achievement
- Spain 4-0 Italy: Spain's dominance confirmed with rout of Italy
- Cesc Fabregas starts in strikerless Spain formation for Euro 2012 final
- Abate returns to Italy team for Euro 2012 final against Spain
People who read this story also read
- Schalke starlet named in Germany's initial 27-man Euro 2012 squad
- Celtic honour Andre Blackman after 'taking out' Neil Lennon
- Real Madrid kids handed Hearts trial after release from Bernabeu
- Neil Doncaster wants clarity for other SPL clubs on Rangers situation
- Oleh Blokhin looks close to home for provisional Euro 2012 squad