Maurice Edu believes the current crop at Rangers are capable of challenging for next season’s Scottish Premier League title.
The prospect of Ally McCoist’s squad being retained in full hinges on Charles Green’s bid to takeover the in-administration club, with a creditors’ meeting to decide upon a CVA to be held on June 6.
With a registration embargo currently imposed on Rangers for the next 12 months, Edu is certain those already at Ibrox, combined with some of the club’s young talent, can make a serious push to knock Celtic off the top.
"We want to come back next year, really push on and compete and win our title back," Edu told Blues News
"It would be good if we can kick on now. We have finished the season strongly and we've had some good results in the last few games.
"Hopefully the fans can go into the summer with something to smile about and when all is said and done, hopefully we can keep this team together.
"If we can keep the team together and some of the young guys can push through, I think we'll have a chance as we've definitely got talent and we've got a great side."
Having agreed wage cuts back in March, a number of players negotiated potential release clauses for the end of the season.
Edu though insists the key figures at the club are determined to stay with Rangers and hope the long-term future can be clarified shortly.
"It has been a difficult situation lately and difficult circumstances too," he said.
"Although there has been an announcement about a new owner maybe coming in, there is still a little bit of uncertainty.
"We've got guys who are eager to stay here though and with the manager and the staff we've got, that definitely bodes well for the future.
"When you see the way we played at the end of the season, we've got something there we can build on."
- Kyle Hutton wants to get his Rangers career off the ground after loan
- Lee McCulloch urges Rangers bidder to retain core of playing squad
People who read this story also read
- Livingston threaten legal action against Scottish FA over Rangers situation
- Football Talk: Celtic exits, Gattuso hopes, Athletic Bilbao's map mix-up
- Football Talk: Maurice Edu can go for £300,000, Celtic bid for defender
- Scottish FA chief urges Charles Green to explain plans for Rangers
- Rangers await decision from Scottish FA appeal over signing ban