Gary Naysmith will join Aberdeen as a trialist on their pre-season tour of Germany.
The 33-year-old defender, who has 46 caps for Scotland, is without a club having left Huddersfield Town at the end of last season.
Craig Brown will take the player on Aberdeen's three-game trip, in which they will take on Alstatte, Werder Bremen and St Pauli.
Naysmith last played club football in Scotland with Hearts in 2000, having graduated through the youth ranks at Tynecastle.
He went on to join Everton, spending seven seasons at Goodison Park and making 155 appearances. He later had a three-year spell at Sheffield United before switching to Huddersfield.
Naysmith last represented his country in April 2009, starting the World Cup qualifying win over Iceland at Hampden.
People who read this story also read
- UEFA Champions League third qualifying round draw groups in full
- Football Talk: Napoli president to buy Rangers, Lennon wants the titles
- James McFadden biding his time for 'right offer' to continue career
- Rangers unseeded in Scottish Communities League Cup draw
- Wet weather hits Dundee United as glamour game with Everton is postponed