Scottish League 2 wrap: Shire stay top, Clyde extend unbeaten run

Scottish League 2
Stirling Albion continued their promotion push with a 3-0 win at home to struggling Queen's Park, while Montrose emerged 2-1 winners over Albion Rovers.SNS Group

Jordan McKechnie equalised in the dying seconds as leaders East Stirling held Peterhead to a 1-1 draw.

Both sides created a number of good chances in the first half but could not find the back of the net and it remained goalless at the break.

The hosts made a strong start to the second period and finally took the lead in the 76th minute when Andrew Rodgers' impressive bicycle kick found the back of the net.

But just as it looked like the Blue Toon were going to take all three points, McKechnie bundled in from close range with the last kick of the game to grab a point for his side.

Stirling Albion continued their promotion push with a 3-0 win at home to struggling Queen's Park.

Dale Fulton gave the Binos the lead 90 seconds before half-time with a curling right-footed effort from the middle of the box.

Queen's Park were reduced to 10 men in first-half injury time when James Brough received his marching orders for elbowing Alex Cunningham.

Cunningham doubled Stirling's lead after 75 minutes, smashing home into the roof of the net from the middle of the box.

Bradley Coyne put the game beyond all doubt, finding time and space in the Queen's Park box, to fire home from 12 yards.

Keiran Brannan's last-gasp header earned Berwick Rangers maximum points in a 3-2 victory against struggling Annan Athletic.

Annan took an early lead when Martin McNiff's header beat Berwick goalkeeper Paul Grant.

Five minutes before the break, Berwick's Darren Lavery struck a quick brace to turn the game on its head. His first came from a free-kick in a central position following Peter Watson's foul on Kenny O'Brien.

And two minutes later Lavery found space in the middle to fire a right-footed shot into the bottom corner to make it 2-1.

Scott Davidson levelled the score for Annan 20 minutes into the second half with a neat finish.

With three minutes of added time played, Brannan headed a winner to snatch the points for the Black and Golds.

Clyde extended their unbeaten run to five games as they beat Elgin City 2-1.

The best chance in the first half fell to the hosts when John Sweeney was denied his third goal of the season after Elgin goalkeeper Raymond Jellema parried his shot.

Brian McQueen's header was saved well by Jellema early in the second period and Elgin's Dennis Wyness failed to find the target from inside the penalty area. They kept the pressure on as Craig Gunn's right-footed effort was saved with ease by Clyde's Nikola Rajovic.

Clyde opened the scoring after 73 minutes through Stefan McCluskey's neat close-range finish and Pat Scullion doubled their lead three minutes later with a low drive.

Elgin pulled one back after 87 minutes to give them hope of grabbing an equaliser as Darryl McHardy scored with his first touch, but it was too little, too late for the visitors.

Bryan Deasley continued his impressive season with a goal in each half as Montrose beat Albion Rovers 2-1.

It took the on-loan striker just nine minutes to open the scoring as he took a pass from Terry Masson and hit a right-footed strike into the top-left corner.

Albion hit back on 24 minutes when Mark McGuigan headed Gary Phillips' cross low beyond Stuart McKenzie from six yards.

David Crawford had a shot well saved by McKenzie and Mark Shankland stung the palms of the Montrose stopper.

But Deasley grabbed his eighth goal of the campaign when he lobbed Neil Parry 17 minutes from time to hand the Gable Endies a win that saw them leapfrog Albion in the League Two table.

People who read this story also read