Neil Lennon has said that he has opened talks with Gary Hooper's agent, with the intention of extending the striker's deal.
The English striker scored 29 goals in all competitions last season, including five in the last day of the season victory over Hearts.
Now his manager would like to tie the player to a longer deal to ward of interest from south of the border.
Lennon said: "We had a preliminary meeting with his agent last week and it was very cordial. It went very well and we made it clear that we want Gary to stay.
"Gary likes it here and he's happy here. He's had such a good season and he's such a good player that no doubt there'll be clubs in for him, but we'll try and resist all offers that come our way."
Hooper has been reportedly interesting Premiership newcomers Southampton, who are managed by the striker's former manager Nigel Adkins.
People who read this story also read
- Rosenborg expecting a formal bid for Celtic target Markus Henriksen
- St Johnstone chairman says no to Rangers ‘newco’ without sanctions
- Paddy McCourt remains hopeful he still has a future at Celtic Park
- Ian Murray leaves Hibs while Garry O'Connor is set to depart for overseas
- Moneybaw: The alternative SPL team of the year picked through statistics