Watch video highlights from the first weekend of the SPL season

A new SPL season is under way as Champions Celtic took the first steps towards retaining their title.

Dundee United were the early pace setters on the opening weekend, starting with a 3-0 win over a lacklustre Hibernian side at Tannadice.

Life under John McGlynn began well for Hearts as goals from John Sutton and David Templeton helped them to a 2-0 victory over St Johnstone at Tynecastle.

Many are predicting a tight league and that appears to be true if the first weekend is anything to go by.

St Mirren and Inverness CT shared four goals in Paisley while nobody could find the net when Ross County took on Motherwell and Kilmarnock welcomed Dundee to Ayrshire.

Watch video highlights of all this weekend's SPL matches:

Celtic 1-0 Aberdeen

Jamie Langfield's late error handed Celtic victory in the opening match of the SPL season.

The Dons stopper failed to deal with Kris Commons' 79th minute effort and could only watch in horror as the ball squirmed underneath his body and into the back of the net.

Craig Brown's side had defended well up until that point and appeared to be in with a good chance of taking a point. However they were left empty handed as the SPL champions started their campaign off with three points ahead of their Champions League qualifying return leg against HJK Helsinki.

Dundee United 3-0 Hibernian

Will be available at midnight on Sunday

Dundee United built on their encouraging performance against Dinamo Moscow by earning a well-deserved victory over Hibernian.

Johnny Russell fired the hosts ahead with a fine turn and shot in the penalty box after only three minutes. Hibernian goalkeeper Ben Williams made a fine save to stop United doubling their lead before half-time.

But he could do nothing as Jon Daly headed Gary Mackay-Steven’s centre to make it 2-0.

Debutant Michael Gardyne added some gloss to the score line with a third in the final minute to cap a miserable day for Pat Fenlon’s men.

Hearts 2-0 St Johnstone

The Scottish Cup holders were made to work hard for their win at Tynecastle despite playing the whole of the second half with an extra man.

Teenage full-backs Kevin McHattie and Callum Paterson made their SPL debuts for Hearts with David Templeton also impressing.

The winger won the penalty on the half-hour mark with John Sutton stepping up to convert.

Gregory Tade then saw red for St Johnstone after a clash with Scotland international Andy Webster.

However the striker’s dismissal seemed to work in the visitors’ favour as they had several chances to equalise.

But Hearts dug in and made sure of the points when David Templeton fired home.

Kilmarnock 0-0 Dundee

Dundee brought a large crowd to Rugby Park and gave them plenty to shout about as they picked up a point on their SPL return.

The hosts started well but Barry Smith’s men had the best chance of the half when John Baird fired wide after dispossessing Liam Kelly just outside the box.

Matthew Kennedy forced Rab Douglas into a fine save before Gary Harkins shot wide.

Killie pressed for a winner in the second period, introducing Rory Boulding to the action. And Douglas had to save well from Rory McKenzie in injury-time to keep the scores level.

Ross County 0-0 Motherwell

Ross County extended their unbeaten league run into the top flight as a goalless draw with Motherwell made it 35 games without defeat.

County produced a solid Clydesdale Bank Premier League debut and restricted Motherwell to very few chances at the revamped Global Energy Stadium in Dingwall.

Motherwell had the better of possession but last season's Irn-Bru First Division champions looked a threat from set-pieces with some dangerous deliveries by Iain Vigurs and Richard Brittain offering opportunities to tall defenders such as Ross Tokely and Grant Munro.

Michael Higdon had Motherwell’s best opportunity but he headed just over.

St Mirren 2-2 Inverness CT

Darren McGregor's stoppage time header salvaged a point for St Mirren from an entertaining 2-2 draw with Inverness at St Mirren Park.

Debutant Lewis Guy had given the hosts the lead just after the half hour mark with an accurate angled drive beyond Ryan Esson but two goals in the final 20 minutes from Nick Ross and Billy McKay had appeared to have handed the visitors all three points.

However, McGregor was in the right place at the right time to head home when Esson completely misjudged a cross from the right.

And in the aftermath of the goal Saints were reduced to 10 men as Guy was sent-off for clashing with Ross Draper in his attempt to get the ball out of the net.

People who read this story also read