Juwon Oshaniwa has claimed talks are ongoing over a possible move to join Celtic.
The Nigerian international, who is currently with the Super Eagles as they prepare for the Africa Cup of Nations, is contracted to Israeli side Ashdod.
Celtic were credited with an interest earlier in the transfer window and Oshaniwa claims discussions over a transfer have taken place, only to be put on hold by his preparations for the tournament.
"There are still ongoing talks on the move for me to go to Scotland," Oshaniwa told All Nigeria Soccer.
"Once they are one, then everybody will have a clearer picture.
"It is God that has the final say, but they are already talking with my club president.
"It was because of my preparation with the Eagles that did not allow me to go to Scotland to do some of the things that I am required to do.
"By God's grace everything will work out well."
Left-back Oshaniwa, 22, only joined Celtic player Efe Ambrose's former club Ashdod in September 2012, signing a four-year contract.
Both players are represented by the same agent, Dudu Dahan, who also recently brought Israeli defender Rami Gershon to the SPL side on loan, pending a work permit decision.
Capped eight times by Nigeria, Oshaniwa had played his entire career in his homeland prior to his move to Israel. He has made 14 appearances to date for Ashdod.
Celtic boss Neil Lennon was said to be delaying his trip to his team's winter training camp in Marbella to watch the player feature in a friendly with Cape Verde Islands in Portugal.
It was not known whether the manager took in the game, in which Oshaniwa played the last eight minutes in a 0-0 draw.
More About Transfer window
- Scottish transfer deadline day: All the moves as they happened
- Transfer Talk: McGowan exit?, Celtic defender link, Korean Peter Crouch
- At a glance: every confirmed SPL move of the January transfer window 2013
- At a glance: every confirmed SFL1 move of the January transfer window 2013
- At a glance: every confirmed SFL2 move of the January transfer window 2013
- At a glance: every confirmed SFL3 move of the January transfer window 2013
- Has the English Premier League killed off the concept of Moneyball?