Celtic are in discussions with Manchester United over the possibility of taking Netherlands under-21 Alexander Buttner on loan for the season.
The left-back signed for the reigning English champions in 2012 after four impressive years with Vitesse in the Netherlands, but has struggled to break into the first team.
Neil Lennon's side have been investigating the possibility of taking the player on loan for the season, a move that would be welcomed by the player according to his agent.
Aleksander Bursac, who represents Buttner, told STV: "Yes, Celtic would like to take the player on loan for the season.
"We feel it would greatly help the boy's development to be playing regularly at that level and in European football. Celtic are a really great club.
"They [Celtic] have been back and forward in dialogue with Manchester United. It's in their hands now as we are not sure if they want to release him."
Buttner may only have been involved in 13 games at Old Trafford, but has scored two goals for the club, scoring against Wigan and West Brom in the Premiership last season.
More About Latest transfer news
- Celtic complete signing of Stefan Scepovic from Sporting Gijon
- Ross County complete deals for Darren Barr and Jackson Irvine
- Calum Gallagher joins Cowdenbeath on loan from Rangers until January
- Celtic's Dylan McGeouch completes season-long loan move to Hibernian
- Former Liverpool youngster Nathan Eccleston joins Partick Thistle
- Michael Gardyne returns to Ross County on loan from Dundee United
- Transfer Talk: Stefan Scepovic, Mackay-Steven and Patrick Kluivert
People who read this story also read
- Transfer Talk: Watt to Belgium, hands off Forster and Draxler to Arsenal
- Celtic's Tony Watt travels to Belgium ahead of potential move to Lierse SK
- Live updates: Scottish summer transfer deadline day as it happens
- Scottish Premiership clubs to share £1.5m UEFA Champions League windfall
- Celtic signing Teemu Pukki is ready to work for his first team place