Kenny Shiels handed five match touchline ban after disciplinary hearing

Kenny Shiels has been given a three match touchline ban, with a further two match suspended sentence, after being found guilty of misconduct for statements made to the press following defeat to Inverness in November.

Shiels had a one-match suspended punishment from June 22 2012, which has been added to a two match ban in today's hearing. Two further matches will be held as a suspended sentence.

Shiels appeared in person at the hearing at Hampden, accompanied by assistant Jimmy Nicholl and goalkeeping coach Billy Thomson.

Of the ruling, the Kilmarnock manager said: "I'm disappointed at the ruling. I feel I haven't done anything wrong. I don't feel guilty. My freedom of speech has been taken away."

While Shiels was found guilty of making comments on radio and in a newspaper article that are alleged to “impinge on the character of a match official", he was cleared of "dissent, adopting an aggressive attitude and by the use of offensive, insulting or abusive language" during the 2-1 loss to St Johnstone.”

Shiels had been sent to the stand by referee Stevie O’Reilly for his part in a heated exchange with fourth official Andrew Dallas following the sending off of Manuel Pascali.

Sheils said: "I'm not pleased for being cleared for that, I'm frustrated because ultimately we lost that match.

"In my defence I brought video evidence with me to Hampden and ultimately believed me because they threw out the charge."

Scottish FA compliance officer Vincent Lunny had called Shiels to account for misconduct during his side’s match against St Johnstone on November 24 and also for comments made in the media following the home match against Inverness on November 3.

The Kilmarnock manager is considering an appeal.

Related articles