Motherwell have confirmed James McFadden will take part in pre-season training with the club.
The 29-year-old, who was a hero during his first spell at Fir Park, is a free agent after being released by Everton this summer.
McFadden played for the Lanarkshire side from 2000 to 2003 before leaving to join David Moyes’ men.
After four and a half seasons on Merseyside he moved to fellow Premier League side Birmingham City.
He left City in June 2011 and held talks with Celtic before opting for a second spell at Everton. However he found opportunities limited, making only eight appearances last campaign.
Motherwell may be able to offer the player a short-term deal but the chances of the club offering the Scotland international a longer contract appear unlikely at this stage.
People who read this story also read
- Kyle Lafferty and Jamie Ness to refuse move to 'Rangers newco'
- Motherwell board says loss of Rangers could put Well into administration
- SFA give Charles Green until Friday to meet membership bid requirements
- At a glance: A guide to pre-season friendlies involving SPL clubs
- At a glance: Every confirmed Scottish Premier League summer 2012 transfer