Charles Green says fans have to listen to the economics of “financial meltdown for the whole world” as the SPL prepares to vote on allowing newco Rangers in or out of the top league.
Speaking at Ibrox Stadium, the chief executive of the company looking to continue the Rangers legacy following the liquidation of the club said he is speaking to the chairmen of SPL clubs to attempt to change their minds on voting no to the newco.
Green needs seven clubs, together with the vote for Rangers being cast by Duff and Phelps, to secure a membership transfer from the old Rangers FC Plc to his Sevco Scotland consortium.
Green said: “I’m not convinced it’s just what I can say that will change their minds. I think chairmen have to listen to their fans but the fans have to listen to the economic reality, not just for football but for every business.
“This is financial meltdown for the whole world and football is not isolated from that position.
“Tomorrow is not a vote for ‘Rangers out’, it could be a vote for other clubs to be closed down and that again is unfair that some fans would lose their clubs.”
Green, who backed his chairman Malcolm Murray’s statement apologising on behalf of Rangers for the turmoil engulfing the Scottish game, said that removing Rangers from the SPL would have long running effects on the game.
He is still holding out hope that the member clubs will allow the membership transfer.
Green added: “It takes only a very, very short time to say yes but it will take an eternity to say no.”
More About Focus on Rangers
- Scottish FA board to consider Rangers 'no links with Craig Whyte' findings
- Rangers talks continue over meeting to remove Malcolm Murray
- Ex-Rangers chief Charles Green agrees to sell shares to hedge fund
- Rangers signings can't play as trialists if league reconstruction approved
- Strachan: Walter Smith the man to get Rangers challenging Celtic again
- Walter Smith new chairman of Rangers as Malcolm Murray stands down
- Rangers inquiry finds 'no evidence' of Craig Whyte link with newco
- Rangers newco vote: The SPL powerbrokers in their own words
- Charles Green makes last ditch plea to SPL clubs to accept Rangers newco
- SPL confirm newco have applied to transfer Rangers' member share
People who read this story also read
- Scottish FA 'will block any move to accept newco Rangers into SPL'
- Scottish Football League clubs to vote on newco Rangers proposal
- Raith director: 'We are being bullied and the Scottish game is corrupt'
- Craig Gordon turned down three-year deal with SPL champions Celtic
- Football Talk: Green's last roll of the dice, Celtic defender set for Spain