Far be it from Football Talk to make judgment on such things, but it’s pretty funny to see little Motherwell metaphorically waving a wad of tenners in the face of 20-times Greek champions Panathinaikos.
In a pre-match chat which ramped up the pressure on the empty-pocketed Athenians, Stuart McCall stopped short of spitting on the floor and telling them: “See that? That’s your swimming pool, that is.”
Speaking of hard up, SPL chief Neil Doncaster and Celtic’s Peter Lawwell are holidaying at home due to the recession.
The loved-up pair flew to London to take in a show, ride the London Eye, beg television companies for money and pitch a script for a rom-com featuring the unlikely coming together of a hardened silver fox executive and the fish-out-of-water Englishman whose eyes meet across the corridors of Hampden.
Ahead of Motherwell’s biggest European match of all time, manager Stuart McCall plays it cool.
New club captain Lasley pinpoints the importance of keeping a clean sheet to take to Athens next week.
Please give us your money Mr Murdoch. We’d be ever so grateful. Thomas Rogne expects a tough league campaign
The Norway centre half is taking nothing for granted on the home front, as Celtic battle abroad to make the Champions League group stages.
As the big Greece forward flips a coin to decide whether he is going to be sublime or ridiculous on Wednesday night, the Finns will be ready for the former. And hoping for the latter. (Daily Record)
HJK arrive over the horizon in three Skodas, a Ford Fiesta and the gaffer’s sister’s mate’s husband’s mini van. (The Scottish Sun)
Scottish Cup winner Beattie could be a Ger this week, unless he gives in the sultry, seductive charms of Notts County. (Daily Express)
Motherwell fans site takes a look ahead to their glamour opponents. (Fir Park Corner)
Another beautifully crafted retrospective looks back at the “disciples” of beautiful football, the mid-20th Century’s Stade de Reims team. (In Bed With Maradona)
A look at how Liverpool and Roma brought football to the legendary Fenway Park. (The Shin Guardian)
Christian Eriksen – quite good at free kicks (too late for my Euro 2012 fantasy team mind you).
More About Football Talk
- Football Talk: Kilmarnock businesses rally against Johnston, Kinnear's rant
- Transfer Talk: Gary Hooper wants to quit Celtic, Gregg Wylde set for Dons
- Football Talk: Scotland fail to cap Hateley, Killie war, Pirlo's free-kick
- Transfer Talk: Celtic bid for Dutch defender Van Dijk, Lafferty to Italy
- Football Talk: Killie pressure mounts, £7m TV bonanza, Neymar goal
- Football Talk: Berg for Killie, Celtic deny Virgo claims, Luiz's twin
- Transfer Talk: Reading want Gary Hooper, Coyle to spoil Wylde move
- Football Talk: Celtic in for striker, Leon Knight commentates on his goals
- Football Talk: Celtic boss claims 'it's personal', Fabregas dance, Morosini tributes
People who read this story also read
- Neil Doncaster and Peter Lawwell in London as SPL TV deal talks continue
- Dorin Goian happy to remain at Rangers after returning to Ibrox
- Rangers chief Charles Green asked by SFA to explain 'bigotry' comment
- Attacker Dean Shiels pens a four year deal to play for Rangers
- Celtic trip is perfect start for Aberdeen new boy Niall McGinn