Neil Alexander has left Rangers after running down his contract with the club.
The Ibrox side have confirmed the goalkeeper's departure after five-and-a-half years, having failed to agree terms on a new deal.
Alexander made 90 appearances for Rangers and was part of the starting line-up which lost in the 2008 UEFA Cup final to Zenit St Petersburg.
Rangers boss Ally McCoist told the club's official website: "Neil’s contract has run out. There was another contract on the table for him – I know Craig Mather spoke to his agent – but he hasn’t signed it so it looks as though his future will be elsewhere."
McCoist brought in Kilmarnock's Cammy Bell as the club's new number one over the summer but he can't be registered until September 1 because of a registration embargo.
Bell can feature as a trialist on three occasions before then but, with current number two Scott Gallacher likely to be sent out on loan, Rangers are seeking cover by bringing in another free agent who can also play as a trialist before the close of the transfer window.
The club have also confirmed defenders Carlos Bocanegra and Dorin Goian are likely to leave this summer, despite both having a year to run on their respective deals.
Bristol City defender Richard Foster is set to hold talks over a return to Ibrox, with manager McCoist on the lookout for further reinforcements before the start of the team's Second Division campaign on August 10.
More About Latest transfer news
- Ross County's Kevin Luckassen poised to seal move to Slovan Liberec
- Eric Djemba-Djemba hopes St Mirren move can force a World Cup place
- Crystal Palace confirm the capture of Celtic midfielder Joe Ledley
- Watch Leigh Griffiths' first news conference as a Celtic player
- Watch STV's online Scottish January transfer deadline day special
- Celtic complete move for Scotland international Leigh Griffiths
- Joe Ledley set for Crystal Palace talks following successful bid
People who read this story also read
- Richard Foster signs for Rangers after agreeing Bristol City release
- Football Talk: Hearts have two weeks, Rangers' coefficient, Tahiti v Torres
- Transfer Talk: Mullen to move from Hearts to Hibs, Barcelona want Rooney
- Football Talk: Celtic switch, Brian Kennedy on Hearts bid, Bale's travels
- Kane Hemmings to leave Rangers at the end of his contract