Goalkeeper Darren Hill produced three saves in the penalty shoot-out as Arbroath overcame Stirling in the first round of the Scottish Communities League Cup after the game had ended 1-1.
Arbroath came close to taking the lead in the 22nd minute when striker Darren Grubben's superb volley hit a post.
It was Stirling who took the lead three minutes before the break from the penalty spot after Scott Robertson brought down Kieran McAnespie, with Mark Ferry making no mistake.
Hill prevented Graham Weir from doubling Stirling's lead with 11 minutes left before the home side levelled four minutes later, Paul Currie rattling in from close range following a pin-point cross from Keiran Brennan.
In extra time, only the feet of Hill ensured the game remained level as he kept out a powerful drive from Stirling striker Gary Brass.
Hill then maintained his fine form in the shoot-out, with Steven Doris, Derek Holmes and Currie successful for Arbroath, who prevailed 3-2.
People who read this story also read
- Arbroath v Stirling Albion team news and preview: Robertson faces old side
- Queen's Park 3-2 Airdrie United: Brough luck for Airdrie in extra-time
- Ramsdens Cup North-East round-up: Pars crash out, 12-goal thriller in Elgin
- Dumbarton 2-0 Albion Rovers: The Sons surge through to the next round
- Hamilton Academical 2-0 Annan Athletic: Mackinnon seals Accies cup win