Frank Lampard was forced to withdraw from training with a thigh injury, and is a doubt for England's Euro 2012 campaign.
The Chelsea midfielder was set to take his place in Roy Hodgson's starting line-up for the match with Belgium, but will now undergo a scan on Thursday to see if he can continue with the squad.
Liverpool's Jordan Henderson has been placed on standby should the 33-year-old fail to recover in time.
Lampard was a key part of Chelsea's Champions League winning side, captaining the team to victory in the final against Bayern Munich.
More About Euro 2012
- Where do Sweden go after their poor performance at Euro 2012
- STV Sports Daily at the Euros: Our look back at the Euro 2012 final
- Italy manager urges Mario Balotelli to learn and grow from Euro final loss
- Vicente Del Bosque basks in 'extraordinary' Spain achievement
- Spain 4-0 Italy: Spain's dominance confirmed with rout of Italy
- Cesc Fabregas starts in strikerless Spain formation for Euro 2012 final
- Abate returns to Italy team for Euro 2012 final against Spain