Andy Murray had little trouble seeing off Japan’s Tatsuma Ito in his opening French Open tie.
The Scot beat the 24-year-old 6-1 7-5 6-0 on Court Suzanne Lenglen at Roland Garros.
Murray appeared in no mood to hang about as he raced into a 5-0 lead before Ito finally got on the scoreboard before the world number four wrapped up matters moments later.
However rather than wilt Ito showed plenty of spirit in the second set, taking it to 5-5 before Murray got the vital break of serve.
The Dunblane ace closed out the set 7-5 before once again showing his class by powering into a 5-0 lead in the final set.
And matters were brought to a swift conclusion as a dispirited Ito watched on as Murray sealed his passage into the second round.
More About French Open
- Watch a live HD stream of the men's singles French Open final
- Andy Murray to make decision on French Open participation later this week
- Nadal v Djokovic: Free live stream of the French Open men’s final
- Watch live coverage of the French Open women’s final on STV
- Andy Murray satisfied with French Open progress after loss to David Ferrer
- Andy Murray says ‘hostile atmosphere’ drove him on to French Open win
- Memories of famous comeback inspires Andy Murray ahead of Gasquet clash