Great Britain’s Andy Murray and Laura Robson claimed the silver medal in the Olympic Mixed Doubles final losing out to Belarus’ Victoria Azarenka and Max Mirnyi.
The pair stormed to win the first set as the number one seeds appeared shocked. It came to Robson to serve out for the set and she did so to leave the pair just one set away from victory.
But the Belarusian pair hit back, breaking to take a 3-1 lead in the second set and they duly kept their grip on proceedings to take the set 6-3.
The match then moved into a tie-break with the first pair to reach ten points taking the gold medal.
Britain fell 3-0 behind but roared back with Robson placing two volleys past Max Mirnyi to leave the scores level.
However a double fault allowed Belarus to move 5-3 ahead and leave Team GB in trouble. Once again they responded, winning the next two points.
Some loose shots allowed Belarus to hold three match points and they sealed victory at the final time of asking.
After the match Robson told BBC1: "I'd like to thank Andy for playing with me. It's been one of the best weeks of my life, for sure.
"They're top seeds for a reason. I was just happy to be in the final, but it's definitely tough to lose."
Murray added: "We would have signed up for that at the start of the event. It's just annoying to lose. We were so close and played so well in the first set."
More About Andy Murray
- Andy Murray to make decision on French Open participation later this week
- Andy Murray set to miss French Open after suffering lower back injury
- Andy Murray thrashed by Stanislas Wawrinka in Monte Carlo Masters
- Andy Murray ready for clay court test against Stanislas Wawrinka
- Andy Murray sets his sights on toppling Novak Djokovic after rankings rise
- Novak Djokovic v Andy Murray: Australian Open final as it happened
- Andy Murray beats Joao Sousa to reach Australian Open third round
People who read this story also read
- Celtic midfielder scores winning penalty to end Team GB’s Olympic hopes
- Andy Murray lifts gold medal after Wimbledon rematch against Roger Federer
- Wimbledon cheers Murray to Olympic singles victory over Wawrinka
- The STV Sport team give their predictions on season 2012/13
- Hamilton Academical 2-0 Annan Athletic: Mackinnon seals Accies cup win